Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Songs of the Sea@Sentosa

Visited Sentosa yesterday to re-take some photos at the Flower Show, as we did not have enough time last Saturday to fully explore the newly expanded display of flowers this year.

We also visited the new "Songs of the Sea" show which replaced the Musical fountain (closed on 25 March 2007). I couldn't help but felt a sense of disappointment after watching the show. I have very fond memories of the Musical fountain which has been a major attraction of Sentosa for 25 years since 1982, which coincidentally is the year which I first arrived in Singapore.

I still remember vividly till this day. As a 12-year-old boy, I watched in awe the various formations of fountain, the different angles, heights and degrees of splashes and how they blended in so nicely, completely in sync with so many different pieces of classical music, even Taiwanese folk songs like天黑黑 and 丟丟銅 were included, much to my excitement. The musical fountain show has been an FOC attraction for all these 25 years too, while the current "Songs of the Sea" is now priced at 8 bucks per ticket now. Yes, the use of laser and pyrotechnics may be spectacular but somehow I just miss the good old days. When I heard the big applauses from the audience, I felt somewhat sorry for them, because they didn't know what they had been missing, haha.

Except the annual CNY flower show which has been free every year, all attractions on the tiny island now comes with a price. So there is no more "free lunch". But as far as the musical fountain is concerned, I guess a priced lunch may not taste as good as a free lunch in this case.

No comments: